Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Thai Shrimp Curry

If you've ever wondered what the National Wild Turkey Federation National Convention is like, I can explain it: camouflaged cacophony.  Holt and I traveled the 3 hours to Nashville last weekend to attend the  NWTF expo at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel and Convention Center. We spent Saturday afternoon wandering around the dizzying maze of vendors decorated with taxidermy creatures, camouflage, and decoys. Between Holt's line of work and mine, you would think I was pretty well prepared for all the hunters and Duck Dynasty bandwagon fans, but I was overwhelmed.  

After passing the first mile marker, I found myself zoning out, complaining of aching feet, and visiting the adult beverage booth. Holt was in the zone, meeting people, taking mental notes, and picking up promotional material.  Sensing my boredom, he pacified me by visiting a vendor selling lab puppies, which I cooed over for awhile.   After seeing a great horned owl and bald eagle at the National Forest Service's booth, our trip through Redneck, USA was complete.  We headed downtown to drown out the sound of turkey calls ringing in our ears with some good country music at a local honky-tonk.  

Waiting in line for Tootsies, on Broadway

We experienced the local music and of course had to hit up some local restaurants.  We had dinner at the hip and packed Tavern in Midtown with some friends.  I had their Mahi sandwich and Holt thoroughly enjoyed their burger.  On a recommendation, we had lunch at the 12 South Tap Room and were very pleased.  The spot is small and eccentric but homey and delicious.  We had the queso, jerk chicken sandwich  and steak quesadillas.  Everything was excellent, including our barkeep Nancy and our brews.



Another whirlwind weekend has come and gone and left us feeling as if our weekend break was busier than our work week.  It's tempting to pick up dinner on the way home or order pizza, but thank goodness for our wok!  A few stock ingredients and you can have dinner on the table faster than Pei Wei can deliver.  

This Thai shrimp curry had carrots, shallots, garlic, and bell pepper. 
I've been posting some Asian-inspired dishes because, lucky for me, Holt is slightly obsessed with the wok.  He's my "wok-master" and thoroughly enjoys flipping its contents dangerously high in the air.  I don't mind eating curries and fried rice more frequently in exchange for a helping hand in the kitchen.

                                        

This curry was made with Gulf shrimp and a prepackaged red Thai curry paste.  I'm sure it would be even better with a homemade curry paste, but again I was taking the easy route for a weeknight meal.  This isn't a spicy curry, but sriracha sauce is a good accompaniment if you want some kick.   


Thai Shrimp Curry (modified from Emeril Lagasse's recipe)

  • 2 tablespoons peanut oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped shallots
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 2 medium carrots, trimmed and shredded
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 3 tablespoons thai red curry paste
  • 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
  • 1 can coconut milk (14 oz)
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 3 chopped Thai basil leaves
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
In a large wok or saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
Add the shallots, bell peppers, carrots, and garlic and stir-fry until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Add sugar, then coconut milk, and bring to a boil.  
Simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. 
Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until pink, about 2 minutes
Remove from heat and stir in the basil and cilantro.
Serve over jasmine rice.  
                                       

What will we WOK up next?  Just kidding, I promise I'll reach for something besides the wok soon!

2 comments:

  1. I always forget about our wok! (Shameful.) If you're looking for a great homemade Indian dish, we tried this one recently and it was delicious:
    http://www.chef-in-training.com/2013/01/chicken-tikka-masala/
    I also gave my hand at naan, which was a lot of fun, but results were not perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holt won't let me forget out wok. :) Every weekend he's asking me what's something we can cook in the wok! I'll have to wow him with something else to draw him out of his obsession. I love Indian and that recipe looks great! Did you use her naan recipe too? I LOVE naan, but I don't have a pizza stone. I've seen in some recipes you can grill it too, so I may be trying that soon. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete