Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fried Wild Turkey

Did you know that the water bear, or tardigrade, is the first known animal to survive in space? Or that they are the most complex of extremophiles, withstanding temperatures from almost absolute zero (-459 F) to 304 F? They can live through solar, gamma, and ionic radiation at a strength that would kill a human, survive unimaginable pressure, and go without food or water for almost a decade. The largest of these extraordinary creatures reaches only 1.5 mm long and can be found on common mosses and lichens.  


Filling my brain with these exciting and awe-inspiring facts about the natural world around us is what I've been doing for the past few weeks. I haven't been doing a lot of cooking or blogging because I've been spending most of my free time studying for the Praxis II Biology Content test. Which looks less like the adorable water bear above and more like this...


But I love studying a subject matter that I'm interested in, and I've met few people that are as captivated by biology as I am. I've spent all this time studying to get certified to teach high school biology. This has long been a career choice in the back of my mind, and looking back, I think I've been preparing for it for a long time. My bedroom pretty much looks like a science classroom. Some of my most prized possessions are my Ernst Haeckel Siphonophorae print, preserved butterflies and sunset moth, framed antique Periodic Table of the Elements, geode, fossilized trilobite, and butterfly identification poster. Anyway, what this potential career change means for me is a lot studying, testing, applications, and interviews, which translates to LONG to-do lists. One of my Monday morning rituals is making my to-do list for the rest of the week.  Here's a glimpse of the last 3 week's lists...


Throw in the weekend trip to Natchez, a trip home to Auburn, and a weekend of dog sitting, and I've been a busy bee.

The three precious dogs I was taking care of didn't really appreciate
all the time I was spending with my study books instead of them.
Luckily, I've had a lot of support from friends and family.  My mom always knows just what to say.  I thought the card she sent me in the mail summed up how the last few weeks have gone:


With two tests down and two more to go, I took a weekend off from studying and relaxed for my first weekend at home in a month. Holt has been cleaning out the game freezer and brought over venison, duck, and wild turkey. Friday we made venison burgers and Saturday we cooked the turkey. I've never eaten wild turkey so I was skeptical, but this was the best wild game I've ever eaten. No gaminess, no masking natural flavors, just pure, unadulterated wild bird (dipped in batter and fried, of course). I was shocked at how good this was. Turkeys are big birds and we had plenty to share with my roommates, all of whom were impressed as well. We cut the breast into strips, dipped in egg wash, batter, then fried and they looked like chicken fingers but tasted better. Trust me on this one.  

Better yet, wake up way before the sun, put on you warm camo, and chase one of these illusive and intelligent creatures around the forest all morning.


Chicken Fried Wild Turkey


1 turkey breast, deboned and cut into strips across the grain
1 16oz bottle of Italian dressing
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
Dash of Worcestershire sauce 
2 eggs beaten
2 cups buttermilk
Salt as needed
2 cups flour
Peanut or vegetable oil as needed

Marinate turkey strips in Italian dressing, lemon pepper, and Worcestershire for 8 hours or overnight.
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs into buttermilk
In a second bowl, mix salt, pepper, and flour.
Dip turkey strips in egg wash, then batter
Deep fry in oil until golden brown
Drain on paper towels.


No comments:

Post a Comment